Thursday, March 3, 2011

Recreating

Recreating is to give back life not only to the object but also to the world, and working with recycled materials fills me with passion. Over the years I have collected fabrics from antique stores, estate sales, resale outlets to take the old and make into new is magic to me. Last year I discovered a group of artist working together to bring reclaimed and recycled products to people and became a member of Trillium Artisans. A dedicated organization that supporting local artist and reclaimed art.  I started by creating a creative project kit for kids using reclaimed fabrics and trims in hopes of inspiring a new generation of sewers.  Then I took my love of old used a vintage baby bootie pattern with Pendleton Wool blanket scraps and created felted baby booties.  My Sewphies were next.  An old pattern I loved and created with in the 70’s updated and brought to light again using reclaimed fabrics and stuffing to create adorable and unique Urban Chickens for everyone who loves to sew 
Recreating clothing is also magic.  I love to take bib overalls and make them into dresses ­reminiscent of the 70’s style of clothing.  They are strong durable and stylish to boot. One man’s scraps, is this woman’s treasures. 
Recreating can also happen to people.  After years of working in education, I find myself creating and designing from the heart daily.  I linger over a stack of fabric and dream of the possibilities.  Life is about creating and recreating. Such a delightful thought. Dreams really do come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment